Thanksgiving Dinner Is Not for Dogs - LUV My dogs

LUV My dogs

Everything about your dog!

Wednesday, November 25, 2015

Thanksgiving Dinner Is Not for Dogs

  With the holidays approaching, your dog or cat will inevitably be begging to partake in the big turkey dinner. People admitted to sharing Thanksgiving table scraps with their pets. While this can be a wonderful way to add lean protein and fresh veggies to your pet’s diet, there are also hidden dangers in holiday fare. 

 This year, before preparing a heaping plateful for your pet, consult a vet and consider these tips to keep Thanksgiving a safe, healthful holiday for your dog .

Talkin’ Turkey: If you decide to feed your pet a small bite of turkey, make sure it’s boneless and well-cooked. Don't offer her raw or undercooked turkey, which may contain salmonella bacteria. Do not give your pet the left over carcass–the bones can be problematic for the digestive tract.
+Turkey can be a wonderful lean protein to share with your pet. 

No to Alliums: Nothing with alliums (i.e., onions, garlic, leeks, scallions) should be ingested by your pet. While it is true that small, well-cooked portions of these foods can be okay if your pet is used to it, ingesting these foods in large quantities can lead to toxic anemia.

Your dog can get very sick from eating onions or garlic, because they contain sulfides—which are toxic to dogs and can cause destruction of red blood cells, leading to anemia.

Don't Let Them Eat Cake: If you plan to bake Thanksgiving desserts, be sure your pets keep their noses out of the batter, especially if it includes raw eggs—they could contain salmonella bacteria that may lead to food poisoning.

  It's no myth: chocolate is dangerous for dogs. The toxic component is theobromine, something easily metabolized by humans but a big problem for dogs. In large quantities, theobromine can cause seizures, internal bleeding and heart attacks in dogs, but even a small amount will probably cause your pup some discomfort. Keep all chocolate treats away from your pet. While some desserts aren't as dangerous, it is best for pups to stay away from all sweets. Too much sugar ingestion can lead to diabetes and obesity.

Yes to Mashed Potatoes: Potatoes are a great, filling vegetable to share with your pet. However even though the potatoes themselves are not harmful to pets, be aware of additional ingredients used to make mashed potatoes. Cheese, sour cream, butter, onions, and gravies are no-no’s in a pet’s diet.

Yes to Cranberry Sauce: Cranberries are full of antioxidants and vitamins that are great for your pup, but this trademark sauce is also full of sugar, so keep Fido's portion light. 

Cranberry sauce is just fine for pets but watch the amount of sugar in it. It is probably best to only provide a small helping to your pet’s plate.

Do pass a piece of pumpkin: Plain, cut, cooked pieces of pumpkin are a pawsome treat for pups. The smooth and colorful food is often used as a digestive aid for dogs with tummy troubles. Don't be afraid to share this squash with your furry sweetheart, just make sure there are no extra flavors added. 

Yes to Green Beans: Plain green beans are a wonderful treat for pets. Fresh vegetables are a great addition to any diet. If the green beans are included in a green bean casserole though, be conscious of the other ingredients in it.

No to Alcohol: Alcohol is definitely a big no for pets. What we people may consider a small amount can be toxic for a smaller animal. Also, keep in mind that alcohol poisoning can occur in pets from atypical items like fruit cake , as well as unbaked bread.
  Don't give your pup a sip of wine: Since most dogs are smaller than humans, intoxicants hit them harder. Ban your furry best friends from the bar and keep their drinks to fresh water only. 
  Beer: Keep the cold ones to yourself. Some dogs might love beer, but it can really mess with their stomach. And if the dog has too much, it can cause a fever, rapid heartbeat, seizures, liver damage, or even death.

We’re wishing everyone a happy and safe holiday season!

No comments:

Post a Comment